As the concept of family evolves, the concept of family vacations also does. And there are already many establishments that are adapting their offer to the most restless families, who want to take advantage of these trips to live together with unique experiences. In addition to surprising them, they enrich the education of the smallest of the house.
Family vacations can go very well or very badly. Airbnb has conducted a survey among family travellers (parents with children under 18) to find out what their preferences are when travelling and the destinations they like best. Spain sneaks into the ranking of top destinations to spend a vacation in the company of the family.
Destination Trend for Family Travel
The Airbnb survey shows us how 43% of family travellers prefer to travel to a new destination every year, while 45% prefer to mix old acquaintances with new destinations each year. That is, going to the beach apartment every summer is no longer a trend.
The survey revealed many unexpected data regarding family travellers of 2017: vacations are multi-generational since 34% travel with grandparents, and 20% include friends in their family vacations.
As for their accommodation preferences, travellers expressed the need to find large sites that can accommodate several people. Family vacation planning is carried out by parents (42%). They decide the fate and the activities they do there. Family vacations no longer consist of being thrown all day at the beach. 79% of travellers prefer to participate in different activities with their children, such as cooking classes, cultural workshops … 78% of travellers believe that their children learn about other cultures and are more independent when they travel.
When choosing the family vacation destination, it is important to have WiFi access (76%), gastronomic experiences (67%), swimming pool (64%). 40% are also looking for accommodation that includes a kitchen. Family travellers prefer to go on vacation to the beach or the coast (75%), but 59% say they prefer to visit destinations with cultural and historical points of interest and attractions.
In fact, parents between 35 and 44 say they prefer to travel to the last destinations than the beach (71%). Millennial parents (18 to 24 years old) also prefer cultural destinations (56%).
When choosing a holiday destination, 85% of European families take into account the opinion of their children. Thus, a large percentage of the conditions when deciding on a hotel is that it has a children’s entertainment service. At that, also, the facilities and the technology are added. And, 65% consider vacations the best opportunity to spend quality time with their children.
The keys in family tourism
Among the results of this survey are some data that indicate the tastes and preferences of Spaniards when travelling as a family:
- Children are positioned as the great influencers when choosing a holiday destination. Thus, 85% of families admit to taking into account the opinion of their children before hiring their vacations, while only 15% indicate that the decision is exclusive to the parents.
- In 75% of cases, one of the essential uk assignment conditions when choosing a hotel is that it has a children’s entertainment service.
- For its part, the quality of the rooms also stands out as an essential element. For 82% of respondents, spacious and well-equipped rooms are essential when selecting a destination hotel.
- Regarding technology, for 75% of the sample, it is essential to have a good WiFi connection to find information about the destination or share photos and videos about your stay in real-time. While only 30% take advantage of vacations to disconnect from social networks.
- As for the search for information in order to select a hotel, the channels most frequented by respondents are the hotel’s own website, online hotel comparators, and social networks, which gain ground from traditional travel agencies.
The study concludes that 65% of the sample considers family travel as the best opportunity to spend quality time with their children, above the cultural interest of the destination (15%) or relax (20%).
Although family vacations are changing, there are things that remain the same. 72% say their next vacation will be a road trip (the car is a must for travelling with children). And 66% indicate that summer is still the preferred season to take a family vacation.
If you find this information useful, don’t hesitate to like and share it with others. Thank you.