Another beautiful and silent snow trail in the Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand.
Kuari Pass is an amazing and popular trek that attracts a lot of travelers, backpackers, and trekkers from all over the world. Kuari Pass is a beautiful pass or a doorway perched at an elevation of 4,264m above sea level. The pass is also called as Lord Curzon trail because it was first passed by the British viceroy of India Lord Curzon in 1905.
The trek is a rejuvenation of adventure and thrill when you set your foot on the unexplored terrains of Uttarakhand. With freezing cold winds and ankle-deep snow, this winter Kuari Pass adventure is all you want.
The 6-day long trek is considered as an easier one. Experience trekking in the winter season by doing this alpine expedition in the Himalayas. The trek starts from Dehradun and further leads to Joshimath. From there, a long drive will take you to the basecamp of the trek Dhak village. After covering the higher stretches, Kuari Pass gives a chance to explore the unexplored zones of the Garhwal region.
The trek is a perfect option for the people who want to run from the busy life of urban areas and finding a place to calm down their mind & soothe their soul.
Kuari Pass trek will take you through the thick forests of oaks, pines, fir, rhododendrons, & birch, an exotic variety of flora & fauna, lush meadows, with the snow-capped Himalayas. The snow trail has steep ascends or descends, tricky, and narrow paths that will surely test your endurance level. And the flowing gushing streams, amazing places & people, with great scenic color-changing landscapes of nature, Kuari Pass is truly a paradise for snow and nature lovers.
Kuari Top offers majestic views of the Himalayan peaks, which are perched at an elevation of 6000m to 7000m. The Trishul, Kamet, Kedarnath, Gauri Parbat, Changbang, Hathi Parbat, Badrinath, Mana, Neelkanth, Dunagiri, Rishikot, Nanda Devi and its twin Nanda Devi East. The best part of the trek is it will amaze you in each and every turn you take on the trail.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Kuari Pass varies from season to season though Kuari Pass is a fantastic trek that can be done in all seasons except monsoons.
The pass receives heavy snowfall, and the trek becomes difficult. It is advised to do this trek with proper guidance and wear layers of clothes. In Winters, the temperature drops down to -8° celsius.
Kuari Pass looks best during this season. The weather remains pleasant and calm, which makes the trek enjoyable. The temperature ranges from 19° to 29° Celsius.
The trail becomes muddy and slippery that can be dangerous. It is advised to avoid trekking in the rainy season.
It is the best time to explore the lush beauty of the meadows and forests.
How to reach Kuari Pass?
To start the trek to Kuari Pass, first, you have to reach Dehradun and then Joshimath.
There are different modes of transportation available to reach Dehradun. And you can reach Joshimath either by Dehradun or by any other city and town of Uttarakhand.
Dehradun is well-connected to all the major cities like Delhi. Take a direct bus from Delhi and reach Dehradun. Then take a bus or taxi and reach Joshimath.
Jolly Grant airport is the nearest to Dehradun. Take a flight from Delhi and reach Dehradun.
Dehradun railway station is the nearest one. There are a few trains available from Delhi to Dehradun.
Things to Pack
- Rain Coat or Umbrella
- Rain Cover
- Trekking Shoes
- 3 Pairs of Tees and Track Pants
- 3 Pair of Socks
- One Heavy Jacket (Down Feather preferable)
- Full Sleeve Sweater
- Fleece Jacket
- Sun Cap
- One Scarf
- Light towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+)
- Water Bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
- Personal Medicine Kit
- Dark Sunglasses
Some general travel tips for beginners
– It is advised to take adequate breaks and stay hydrated. Do not skip meals on the trek. Take proper energy intake and then start trekking.
– Acute Mountain Sickness is a common issue at higher altitudes. Do not get panic, carry medicines with you prescribed by the doctor.
– It is important to be well prepared for the trek early. Start doing exercise to increase your strength and stamina. Oxygen level decreases at higher altitudes, and it is advised to do yoga prior 2 weeks to the trek to make your lungs strong.
– Do not wander alone on the trek. Always stay in a group.
– Pack carefully and do not carry unnecessary stuff.
– Follow the instructions of your trek leader.
– Respect the norms and beliefs of the place you are traveling to and show respect to the locals.
– Always carry important ID proofs.
– If you are suffering from some diseases like asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. it is highly advisable not to do high altitude treks.
– Always carry something to eat with you and a water bottle.
– Do not litter. Keep the surroundings clean and green.
– Always check the weather forecast before going on the trek.
– Always trek with proper trekking gear and safety measures.
Kuari Pass winter adventure is a great experience for a lifetime. The beauty of the trek will amaze you and fits into your heart & mind forever. Plan a trip to the Himalayas and discover the unseen and unexplored.