The 5 Most Obnoxious EDH Cards. Additionally, we will not be including any reprints and will be solely focusing on new cards. Let’s explain it like we're 5. There aren’t 8 unique cards in Magic that have the effect of “Deal 3 damage to target opponent” for R without additional costs or conditions. Those decks typically run faster, more expensive spells and aim to win by turn three. I'm confused. This is impossible. What are the odds of having an Effective Copy of Food Chain in our opener? We have a 7% chance of Food Chain, so what if we run cards that will be functionally equivalent to Food Chain? This video showcases the best tribal cards for edh, no matter what tribe you are playing in your commander deck. MTGSalvation has a list of infinite combos, Google that. What are the best cards in this color combination, ignoring any information about a deck or its commander, what are some staple auto-includes in those colors, and what are competitive cards/combos in these colors (for example, kiki-jiki-resto angel/exarch/pestermite/twin), Ignoring any information about the deck or its commander. I will be using 7 for my examples moving forward because you cannot predict your draw when mulliganing and it will ease comparison to 60 card decks. Posted January 20, 2015. Good because with convoke it can come down early. The Best Commander Cards. Well, we don’t need to, we can just jam Effective Copies of the things we’d be Demonic Tutoring for. If you’d like to understand how we arrived at this decision, we encourage you to read on. This is a Tier List I made for Competitive EDH (CEDH) play, so it will only go to Tier 2. This illustrates why you can't rely on having access to Food Chain (or ANY single card) consistently without including what I call Effective Copies. So if Demonic Tutor is so great, why aren’t we running Diabolic Tutor in cEDH? Granted that said list is for EDH staples rather than CEDH ones, but still. Set Sample Size (SSize) to 7 for your opener or 8 if you would like to include the draw. For the unfamiliar, Core Set 2021 is not a theme-based set like Ikoria or Throne of Eldraine. Our decision doesn’t reflect an endorsement of these cards, but what we believe is best for Commander in the long run. This is how CEDH decks work within the restrictive confines of a singleton format. This article has given you 2 deck building tools, stay tuned and check out my past content at https://mtgfossil.wordpress.com. Best mono colored EDH Decks. Because all 6 of our Effective Copies of Food Chain can be used to fetch other important parts of our deck, we probably won't mind having more than one copy. What are the top 10 White cards for EDH/Commander? Number of successes in a sample (NSSam) = 1 usually in singleton formats, but you can increase this number if you need to know the odds of 2 Lands, 3 Fast Mana cards, etc. If you already have a working knowledge of HyGeo, feel free to skip to part 2. Discussion. A New and Exciting Beginning . Deckcycle Deckcycle Feature Queue. Compare to inventory Compare to another deck. But what if I want to know my odds if I bob for 2 apples at the same time? Top 8 Tribal-Matters Cards for EDH #8) Obelisk of Urd. MTG Salvation . Hypergeometric Distribution can be used to find many things, but we’ll try to limit the scope of this article somewhat to avoid turning into Understanding Gush (an excellent read if you have a few hours/days). The deck also can use Vizier of the Menagerie to turn any green creature into a hack, meaning Wordly Tutor and GSZ are also EC. We play 100 card singleton and it can be confusing to figure out the “best” cards. I recently built a competitive daggson deck and I found it incredibly linear and boring to play. The title is a bit iffy. For our first example, we’ll find the odds of having Food Chain in our opener. If you’re looking to pick up singles from Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, here are our top 10 picks. Listen online, no signup necessary. Keep in mind, we will not be considering Competitive EDH for this list. Below I am going to list the absolute best commanders in competitive EDH. Upvote 0. To keep it more narrow, I've only been looking at the Sultai colored cards due to the new Commander deck's focus. EDH is a format with deck building constraints unlike any other format, and the cEDH meta demands further constraints. We all know what kind of card we’re up against here. Spoiler Timeline. Jimmy’s Top 10: 10 – Mentor of the Meek 9 – Elspeth, Sun’s … @CommandCast @jfwong @JoshLeeKwai. The odds of having 1 *or more* copies of Food Chain in our opening hand are a respectable 41.1%! Because I guarantee when you are trying to Do a Thing with your deck...you will wish you had enough cards to help you Do that Thing instead of playing a land or hoping your opponents just don’t have anything going on. This is pretty simple math right? It’s the same as modern, or legacy - it’s not inherent to the deck, it’s the interaction between multiple decks. Josh and Jimmy cover their top 10 favorite cards in BLUE for EDH/Commander. I'd think that really depends on your commander, your deck archetype and your meta. cEDH is a very synergy-centered format, and without knowing what your deck does, we can't give you anything. This is the first installment of one of my article series “Tier 1 Commanders”; where I’ll talk about a specific commander I find competitive. That said - no generalization will ever be accurate 100% of the time. What is surprising about this exactly? Increasing the amount of Effective Copies we have in our singleton deck, if they are equally or near quality in tempo/mana cost, allows us to replicate the consistency of 4-of MtG. As such, I have decided to try creating my own classification system for EDH decks: Type 1: Jank, Draft Chaff, and Gimmicks. The Best Pillowfort Cards in Commander | EDH | Control Protection | Magic the Gathering | Commander - Duration: 16:46. Mill works very well, probably better in Commander than any other format. Anything lower than Tier 2 will most likely not see play in a CEDH pod. I will not be including cards that specifically excel in cEDH (Competitive EDH) alone since this variation focuses on playing extremely fast and efficient decks. Archived. When you play against similarly calibrated decks the lines become much more interesting. Upvote 0. So how do we get more copies of the same effect? A diverse community of players devoted to Magic: the Gathering, a trading card game ("TCG") produced by Wizards of the Coast and originally designed by Richard Garfield. We'll need to check the cumulative probabilities to draw deeper conclusions. in competitive EDH we play the best decks and best strategies. This allows Wizards of the Coast to not only include key reprints but focus on cards that tie into the archetypal designs of each color. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. I put that thing I my casual decks, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the CompetitiveEDH community. Momir Vig Hackball requires us to assemble a Hack effect and any green creature! If you were looking to purchase Cards seen here and more do so through the following link: https://bit.ly/358h3pb Welcome to The 99 where we focus on brewing a better, competitive Commander. We identified three major concerns during the course of these discussions, and we’ll address each and how they relate to Commander below. The first of these articles is about one of my absolute favourite commanders, Arcum Dagsson! These are the commanders that are part of the cutting edge archetypes that seek to win at all costs. Latest was Episode 44: Enhanced Evolution EDH Upgrade. The odds of having exactly one Food Chain in your opening hand is a pitiful 7%. First let's define some terms and explain our methodology. I am infinitely more impressed when people build unique decks full of flavor or that express someone's personality perfectly. Close. But this is something you should think about when you go brewing your next sweet deck. Too Long, Don't Bother: Having Tutors = extra copies of any fucking card you want. See, the HGP is going to be the odds of *exactly* one Effective Copy of Food Chain in our opener. TCGPlayer $7062.87 - 15134.01 . Whether its elves, merfolk, goblins, vampires, zombies, or fish, these tribal staples have got you covered. By Riley Knight / November 8, 2019 November 7, 2019. I want you to post with what you think are the best multiplayer generals in EDH in 6 categories. EDH Recommendations and strategy content for Magic: the Gathering Commander I'm building this mainly as a fallback deck for casual play since my Derevi is super competitive and is the only deck I own. There are strong engine decks out there that aren’t as concerned about consistency as card quality. We have Ad Nauseam and Ancestral Mystic Remora to work with. Competitive EDH Staples Commander / EDH* L e r k e r. Edit Live Edit. I will give a quick strategy guide, mention some key cards and explain the weaknesses of the deck. Top 10 White Cards in EDH / Commander | #26. Commander Most Played Cards; MTG EDH (Commander) decks Get the top competitive … This deck contains 6 of them, which I will outline below with situations and comments. If I go Dark Confi- er, bobbing for apples and there are 15 apples in the tub but 5 of them have Razor Boomerangs in them, what are the odds that in one attempt Fossil will enjoy a delicious snack instead of asking people if they wanna know how I got these scars for the rest of my life? This means we have something to target. tl;dr Tutors and cards that do the exact same thing as the card you want to play increase your consistency in cEDH. We have Ad Nauseam and Ancestral Mystic Remora to work with. Commander / EDH Competitive Five Color Jank Theme/Gimmick. In 4-of formats you can run 4 Lightning Bolt and 4 Lava Spike giving you a 65.4% chance of having 1 or more copies of a spell that deals 3 damage in your opening hand, but in singleton EDH you won’t have the same odds even if you run 8 unique Lightning Bolt effects - the sample size of an EDH deck is 39 cards larger meaning your odds of drawing that effect in your opener drops to 45.6% - and the even worse news? Not 100% true, though you have a very strong point. The First Sliver. Close. After the game the three proxy players playing competitive decks started telling me they couldn't believe anyone would pay so much for magic cards. 0. Let's run through a few quick examples using u/ShaperSavant and u/BigLupu's Food Chain Tazri deck. Maybe sometimes...but not all the time. I haven't played EDH or magic since. The yearly Core Set for Magic: The Gathering is just around the corner, so it’s time to evaluate the best cards you should pick up for Commander/EDH. Voting the same general in multiple categories is fine as well. Some examples include the number of lands in your deck, the number of fast mana sources, or the number of functional equivalents to a combo piece (Food Chain, Demonic Tutor, Drift of Phantasms, etc.). The only cards that absolutely, 100% go into every jeskai deck are Sol Ring and Mana Crypt. Instead, our selections not only offer flexibility but embrace the spirit of this chaotic, social game. By 'best' I am refering to the ability to win games. Do other decks run as many effective copies?Gitrog Dredge requires us to assemble a discard outlet and Dakmor Salvage to win. There is a 1 in 3 chance, or 33.3%. Join us discussing news, tournaments, gameplay, deckbuilding, strategy, lore, fan art, cosplay, and more. Here are some ideas I had; I'd be happy to hear some of yours! Card Kingdom $9487.26 - 15255.78 . ), which might sound like needlessly complicated jargon but if you bear with me I think you’ll find it’s a more intuitive part of deck building than you might think. Hi Everyone, Just thought I would start a discussion on what everyone's favorite mono-colored EDH generals/decks are? Any time you can give boosts bigger than just +1/+1, it’s something to take a look at. The most commonly talked about constraints are mana cost and color identity, but this article aims to describe a constraint that’s actually a combination of the two - how do you get your deck to do the thing it does *consistently*? Are you Narsetting or some other combo? How many copies does it run of each? Posted by 4 years ago. So let's begin! (Up to 35.7% now that our sample size is 14, 1 less than when we started). Home; MTG Salvation Forums; The Game; Commander (EDH) Multiplayer Commander Decklists; New Thread Search Search all Forums Search this Forum Tools New Content Jump to Forum Multiplayer Commander Decklists Decklists optimised for multiplayer games … Forty Best EDH Podcasts For 2020. Best cards in Blue-Red-White (Jesaki) for cEDH. Therefore this is going to be the most frequent combo you … What makes you say that? I think an argument could be made for a very limited selection of cards that could help practically any deck in a set color combination. I will not be including cards that specifically excel in cEDH (Competitive EDH) alone since this variation focuses on playing extremely fast and efficient decks. I was trying to figure out some of the best targets to mutate your creatures onto in EDH. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Then started attacking me for bringing a competitive list to their table so we left. The Commander's Quarters 37,300 views 16:46 Most of these decks are built with no budget, to be played in a 3-4 person pod, and to be as cutthroat as possible. A lot of these answers are baked into our format (although I have seen some decks with Slim land counts) but others aren't as obvious. it seems like a good area of focus. That’s a lot of tutoring! EDH Recommendations and strategy content for Magic: the Gathering Commander The complicated answer is we need both - we need a density of card effects to play high level 100 card singleton, and while the difference in power level between Ancestral Recall and Divination may be obvious, what is the difference when we’re comparing a card that is strong to a card that is every card? This deck also has some pretty ridiculous effects in it, but it probably still can't even win. Posted August 18, 2015. The Commander’s Quarters is your source for everything budget Commander! Card Odds V2 Draw hand. Everyone was new to EDH at one time. Some of the best cards in Competitive EDH might Shock you (from r/CompetitiveEDH)...or Bolt you, or Thoughtseize you, or Force of Will your best card. If you would like to make calculations of your own, do the following: Set Population Size (PSize) to 99 (the number of cards in an EDH deck), Set Number of Successes in Population (NSPop) to the number of cards that do the thing you need. Josh’s Top 10: 10 – Propaganda 9 – Rite of Replication 8 – Fatestitcher 7 – Time Stretch 6 – Mystical Tutor 5 – Rhystic Study 4 – Deadeye Navigator 3 – Glen Elendra Archmage 2 – Consecrated Sphinx 1 – Pact of Negation. I don't think you're necessarily wrong, but I think the OP is asking a valid question, worth answering as best we can. Cards Trading Post Wiki Desktop View. It would also be good to have a metric for discussing certain cards or deck-archetypes. Archived . Tazri requires us to assemble Food Chain + an infinite creature mana enabler. That was over a month ago. While competitive EDH is fun, it’s a much faster format that requires specific types of cards. Edit. But what wins games - consistency or power level? The card I immediately thought of here was [[Deflecting Palm]]. 7. Posted by 3 years ago. Some groups fold to Armageddon, but not every deck wants that. (D): 2.5 Fringe Competitive (60) 1x Alesha, Who Smiles at Death; 1x Aminatou, the Fateshifter; 1x Anafenza, the Foremost; 1x Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle; 1x Atla Palani, Nest Tender; 1x Azami, Lady of … HGP = 33%Our result is 33%, but this is a little deceiving. Find me a math equation for that! N o O n e O f C o n s e q u e n c e. Edit Live Edit. ...or Bolt you, or Thoughtseize you, or Force of Will your best card. Note that if we want the odds of multiple different card types, for example Food Chain and 2 lands, we can find the hypergeometric probability of Food Chain in a sample size of 7 then do the same for Lands in a sample size of 6 (7-1, where 1 is the card that is Food Chain) then multiply our two results to get the cumulative probability of both events occurring. ... even considering getting the cheapest english-language versions of each card that aren’t beat to shit. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. It's pretty fun actually! Playtest v1. NSPop = 7 (Food Chain + 6 effective copies). Command your budget! +2/+2 can give a great boost to your swarms, which in turn help drop this early. The budget concern is mainly because this is a fun deck and I'd rather put money into the 4 missing cards in Derevi that are very expensive. Edit. Best cards in Blue-Red-White (Jesaki) for cEDH. Updated Nov 29, 2020 by smilodex using our MTG Deck Builder. ### The Best Commanders in EDH [Tier list] _____ **Welcome everybody to the EDH Tier List where you can find … The End of an Era. Top 10 Blue Cards in EDH/Commander | #72. #7) Herald’s Horn. Now, there are two things to be aware of when I made my decisions. These commanders are listed in no particular order. Email us: [email protected] Moving forward we're going to be looking at Effective Copies of a card or card type. Discussion . (57.1% chance of 1 or more) What if I want to know what the odds are of hitting a razor after I got one apple out unscathed? To circumvent this, we will be focusing primarily on new cards specifically made for Commander Legends and provide a shorter list for the best reprints. The card that causes the whole table to groan in dismay; the card that you wish they’d just never printed so you didn’t have to deal with it. The trick is that you need infinite mill combos to mill 100 cards. Now that we know what Effective Copies are, let’s get back to the question! We play 100 card singleton and it can be confusing to figure out the “best” cards. I just want something a few notches down in power, but still something to respect. Part 2: A Demonic Tutor by Any Other Name. I'm using http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx to make my calculations. Is this just a really really long way of saying that "cheap tutors are good"? Actually, first let's slow it down and assume we heard Food Chain was a sweet combo and jammed it in our Tazri Ally Tribal deck without any way to tutor for it, not knowing what it was. Best mono colored EDH Decks. Every one of these 6 spells, uninterrupted, will guarantee us access to Food Chain. Part 3: Ok MAYBE it isn’t the best card.So I’ll admit, I can be a bit hyperbolic. For this example the Effective Copies of Food Chain are Demonic Consultation, Enlightened Tutor, Lim-Dul's Vault, Tainted Pact, Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal. There are 2. I don't need Hypergeometric Distribution to tell me that Tutors and functional copies of combo pieces are good. Many have asked if Mill can work in EDH, and the simple answer is yes. I don't know why people value this style of play. Mana Drain, Force of Will, Timetwister, Swords to Plowshares, Path of Negation, Consecrated Sphinx, Mystical Tutor and Enlightened Tutor are some U/W cards that can go in a lot of decks, but again some decks wouldn't play several of those. I have seen that reverse a potential win on numerous occasions, and it might be argued that any deck running red and white is better with it than without it. If you’re wondering, “what tribal deck should I buid?” take a look at this list first to visualize how you’ll be paying off whatver tribe you’re in. How many tutors do you need to consistently hit your combo, how many lands do you need to make sure you have at least 2 60+% of the time, how many stax pieces to ensure you get to slow the game down? Jimmy and Josh break it down in this week’s surprisingly tough to assemble list! The best cards outside of Commander usually don’t measure up in the world of 99 cards. As stated before, we have to know what you are trying to do. How many copies does it run of each? For each category I ask that you vote no more than 5 entries. Checkout Acquireboard. To figure this out, we’re going to be using Hypergeometric Distribution to find Hypergeometric Probabilities and Cumulative Probabilities (! Press J to jump to the feed. The opening hand is usually the most important one of the game (although some players who have been Wheeled into their combo might disagree) and since it is one of the only common denominators in every game (other than yourself!) Hypergeometric Distribution is a method of finding the probability of successes with a specific amount of draws out of a known population. First, I chose cards that are more or less good in a vacuum. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx. What?!? If you play ONE HUNDRED games of EDH you would see Food Chain + 6 random cards in only 7 games. 2019 Holiday Exchange! EDH Recommendations and strategy content for Magic: the Gathering Commander Is Demonic Tutor as strong as Timetwister or Ad Nauseam? A card from Commander 2017. Similar Deck Space Auto-suggestions. CardHoarder 747.87 TIX. Follow us on Twitter! Let’s take a look at what I consider to be the top five Commander cards for each color and why. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. We'll be calculating the odds of an opening hand having cards we need for our deck to function. This is a subreddit dedicated to playing the Commander format of Magic: The Gathering at the highest power level possible. It doesn't take skill or very complex decision trees. Let’s look at some top decks! Having 1 vote or even zero votes for one or more categories is fine. But what wins games - consistency or power level? But gee Foss, Tazri is a 5c deck with unique tutors. Volrath, the Shapestealer ; Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord ; Golgari Grave-Troll Finding the shortest most consistent path to winning possible ends up with boring magic, and in edh it is so easy to do that it's not even that impressive to see someone do it.