Drain well. Slice the potatoes and add to a large bowl. However, most German potato salad recipes are prepared with a lighter dressing made with vinegar and mustard. I have made this for DH for 34 years now. I made the potato salad again this week and took your suggestion of boiling the potatoes in advance and then keeping them in the refrigerator, unpeeled, overnight. There are many different types of German Potato Salad depending on the region where they come from. Thanks! Meanwhile, add bacon to a cold large skillet. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. This is one of those true German recipes. My grandma is from the Southern part of Germany, a region called Swabia, and in that part of the country they make potato salad with oil and vinegar and add beef or chicken broth for flavor. https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/cold-german-style-potato-salad-53690 My grandmother used to make this, it was the only thing we asked for when we went to her house. Kristin Maxwell is the creator and main recipe developer, writer, and photographer of Yellow Bliss Road. All of the recipes and tips you will find here are created with your busy family (and mine!) A German Potato Salad is a warm potato salad embraced with red potatoes and onion dressed in delicious vinegar, olive oil, and mustard dressing. Repeat with the oil. They will even sometimes cook the onions and/or the potatoes in the broth. This is Seriously The Best Potato Salad And It Can Be Served Warm Or Cold What is German Potato Salad? Thanks for sharing a bit of your story! Let sit at least 1-2 hours in the refrigerator to let flavors blend. I love that you mentioned the addition of broth because I’m convinced that was the step which took Grandma’s salad to the next level! The reason we peel the potatoes after is because they will hold their shape better. When potatoes are peeled first, the potatoes tend to get mushy and fall apart. Jul 23, 2020 - Explore lisa powell's board "German Potato Salad", followed by 3184 people on Pinterest. My question is: why do you peel the potatoes after cooking them? When they were cold, I was still able to use a vegetable peeler on them. Thanks for sharing your traditions…we have a unique connection with this recipe!! I added some parsley and green onions for color and a little herb-y freshness, so feel free to swap out the green onions for minced red or white onion. Very tasty. Learn how your comment data is processed. Bring to boil, cover and cook 10-15 min, or until just tender. Freezer: Since this German Potato Salad does not contain mayonnaise and we use red potatoes which are more freezer friendly you can technically fre… A hot potato salad with bacon, cheese and a creamy/vinegar sauce makes this a wonderful dish to serve with bratwurst on a cold fall day in Deutschland or wherever you might be. German Potato Salad … I had completely forgotten how to make it, it’s unfortunately been so long. My dear MIL is a "true" German. I’m so glad you found us, Betsy! Thaw thoroughly in the fridge and add a splash of oil to moisten if needed. Cook potatoes in skin till tender (not too soft) needs to be on the firm side. I’m so glad you all loved it!! How to make hot German potato salad: Boil potatoes in a large pan with 1 tablespoon salt until fork tender. When we’re having an off day in the field during harvest, I know it’s time to whip out the German style potato salad. Remove all but about 1/4 c bacon grease, add onion and garlic into skillet. The descriptors “warm” or … It is sweet and sour and has smoky bacon flavor and crunchy texture from the celery and onion. Great tip! Put potatoes in casserole dish Wash some red potatoes, toss them in a pot of cold … A self-taught cook and self-appointed foodie, she specializes in easy, flavorful and approachable recipes for any home cook. Drain and run under cold water. Depending on the size of the potatoes, this could take a little more or less time. We had a sweet German lady at church that introduced us to this recipe over 50 years ago only she added in torn iceberg lettuce right before serving and a little sugar to the vinegar. The latter is not unlike the typical North American versions. This was by far my favorite salad if all time when growing up. Add 1 teaspoon salt and boil until tender, which will probably take … Boil them until they are fully cooked through and soft (pierce one with a fork or a thin knife to test). Now as far as your question goes, German potato salad can be served either hot or cold. Cook bacon crisp. Cook the bacon: Put the pieces in a cold skillet, then heat and cook until they turn crispy.This will take about 8 minutes. Boil the spuds: In a large pot, boil the diced spuds for about 10 minutes.Then, drain and transfer the spuds in a bowl. Thanks for the reminder!! My grandma started out making it that way but then decided to eliminate the broth step, opting to simply use salt and pepper for flavor. Peel potatoes, and place in a large pot with enough water to cover by several inches. In a large saucepan, place the potatoes and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Season with salt and pepper, stirring gently to coat the potatoes. How to Make German Potato Salad. How to make German Potato Salad. Vegetarian potato salad always makes a great vegetarian side dish for a picnic, vegetarian barbecue or for an everyday vegan dinner . Either way though, it’s delicious. 10 %. Hope it works for you and that it is enjoyed. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/authentic-german-potato-salad Don’t freak out – I’m not asking you to leave a cold potato salad at room temperature until it goes bad. #potatosalad #potatosaladrecipe #warm #cold … It’s a vinegar and oil based potato salad that’s delicious with fish, brats, pork tenderloin or just about anything you could think of! We loved it. Authentic German Potato Salad is a cold salad made with an oil & vinegar dressing that is traditionally served in the Swabian region of Southern Germany. Yellow Bliss Road, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The ingredients stated were the right amount. cold German potato salad, aka Kartoffelsalat, comes from my Mutti's handwritten cookbook. The potatoes will continue to soak up the oil and vinegar as they sit, so if it seems a little dry just add a slash of oil to moisten before eating. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. You add those just before the vinegar. I tasted this recipe earlier this year because a German exchange student living in my home was looking for a recipe for potato salad that was like what he would have at home and he made this one! Drizzle oil and vinegar over top of potatoes. I used new potatoes and left the skins on. It will remain fresh and can be enjoyed for up to 3-5 days. Peel cooled potatoes and slice into circles about 1/8-inch thick. It was fairly easy to make. The difference between German potato salad recipes and American potato salad, is that they are vinegar based and don’t use mayonnaise like traditional American recipes. finely diced (green onions or red could also be used). Now that we've established that German Potato Salad has as many different definitions as there are stars in the sky, this recipe starts out in a pretty standard way. There’s a bit of debate over whether German potato salad should be served hot, warm, or cold, but I say go with what works. This Authentic German Potato Salad is made with creamy gold potatoes and a tangy oil and vinegar dressing. It’s definitely our go-to over any mayo based potato salad, and is a holiday staple. This vegetarian and vegan German potato salad recipe with vegetarian mock bacon can be served hot or cold. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Some are made hot with a bacon dressing, some are steeped in chicken or beef broth for flavor. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap to keep warm. Refrigeration: This German Potato Salad can be safely refrigerated for 3-5 days before being discarded. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. in mind. You are so welcome Nina, thank you so much for taking the time to leave some positive feedback. Remove from skillet, set aside. Easy, approachable and family friendly recipes for any home cook. Home » Recipes » Salads » Authentic German Potato Salad (Swabia Style), Published on May 12, 2019, Updated April 1, 2020 by Kristin Maxwell | 19 Comments. Boil potatoes whole and unpeeled for about 25 minutes, or until soft (they can easily be pierced with a fork or knife). Thanks for sharing! Slice potatoes into very thin discs and place directly into a medium sized bowl. And yes, this one is German Trying to get measurements from her is like pulling teeth. Start with a pot of salted boiling water and add your whole, unpeeled potatoes. Leftovers should be stored in a sealed, airtight container in the refrigerator. German Potato Salad is also the perfect side dish for Schnitzel! I still throw it together without measuring so today while preparing it I tried to eyeball the amounts. Bavarian Potato Salad is a tangy vinegar based potato salad. Feel free to play around with the amount of vinegar, salt and pepper until you love it. Hi Kristin…it was fun to stumble upon your blog and this recipe! The chives are a fundamental part for our family, and I also like to sprinkle on some ground mustard powder for an extra kick. Sauté onion in water and butter till high simmer. This was my German grandma’s recipe so I’m happy to be able to pass it along! You can serve the potato salad with Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel, and Sausage or with Pork Rouladen or hearty roast pork. Total Carbohydrate Stir in onions and pour in vinegar and stir. A classic German potato salad is typically served warm or at room temperature and is dressed in a vinegar-based sauce. Do not mix at this time. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. Get German Potato Salad Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. Over night is best. Take out the cooked pieces using a slotted spoon, then set aside. Hot German potato salad is totally amazing, but it’s often not … If you do the oil first it will interfere with the potatoes soaking up the vinegar flavor. Bring to a boil, and cook for about … This Easy German Potato Salad is a short-cut version that my German grandma used to make for us. This can also be done the night before with the potatoes left whole and unpeeled in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Once cooked and cool enough to handle (but still hot), gently peel the potatoes with a, Stir in diced onions, salt and pepper, then vinegar, then oil – in that order! Cheddar and Pretzel Crusted Baked Chicken, Turkey and Stuffing Casserole (Leftover Turkey Recipe), Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach, All-Natural Mattress Cleaner – How to Clean Odors and Stains from Your Mattress. That makes sense. Hi Emily, thanks for sharing your experience! Now as far as the vinegar goes, you can use any light colored vinegar. Drain and lay in a single layer on a flat surface to cool slightly. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until just tender, about 30 minutes. We learned how to make it from my Grandma who came to America from Germany when my Father was able to send for her and his younger sisters in the 1950’s. Here’s the thing about German potato salad – you serve it warm. By contrast, American-style potato salad is often served cold or at room temperature, and is coated with a creamy dressing made from mayonnaise, sour cream, or yogurt. If you were to look up German Potato Salad you would get tons of different versions. One difference is she grated the onion… and another is she added a pinch or two of sugar to the dressing… i make it for parties or family dinners… everyone loves it!!! I usually double the bacon and sauce to make this extra flavorful. Set aside to cool. The German Potato Salad is often while served with pork, meat, fish dishes. DH does like mayo on the side. Hi Sue, Thank you for your sweet comment! Add in diced potatoes and boil until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Be well. This Swabisch style potato salad has also been a favorite in our family. Yes it’s tru no one can make potato salad quite like my Oma could!My grandparents also came to America in 1955 when my mom was 3 years old. My brother just asked me to make it this week for our 4th celebration. Thanks for the info!! I made this for company and it was really good. Pour onion mixture on top, salt & pepper to taste finish with crumbled bacon bits. Who knows? We use Apple Cider Vinegar but you could also use a white wine or champagne vinegar, or even straight white vinegar. Boil potatoes whole and unpeeled for about 25 minutes, or until soft (they can easily be pierced with … Place leftovers in a freezer bag or airtight container and into the freezer for up to 5 months. The Easy German potato salad lists onions in the ingredients but doesn’t mention them in the instructions. free email bonusTested, Tasted & Terrific! None of us can make it quite like she used to, but it is still one of our best “throw-back” recipes. This bad boy is meant to be served hot off the stove. Put potatoes in pan, cover with cold water, add salt. Stir in 2 tablespoons salt. Nothing makes for a better side dish in the summer than a cool and creamy potato salad. Heat over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. hi my name is ms, lynette a miller and i was just wonding if you could give me the ingredients for if you where going to make it for one person i would like to make it for me but i don,t know what i need for the ingredients for one person could you please help me ok thankm,s for your time ms, lynette a, miller. Hence the “short-cut” part of the recipe. Since most potato salads are made with creamy based dressings, they cannot be frozen. My instinct would be to peel them before they’re cooked, when it would be less messy and easy to use a vegetable peeler. Potato salads from other parts of Germany are often served cold and/or include mayonnaise. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. People from the German and Austrian regions also serve the potato salad with a local common meatloaf known as Leberkäse or Fleischkäse. She always added yellow food coloring to make it a bright yellow… Keeping traditions alive. We use. That’s awesome Lisa! The recipe has been updated – thanks! Peel cooled potatoes and slice into circles about 1/8-inch thick. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in a Dutch oven or large saucepan, bring to … It’s lighter than the mayonnaise version and is perfect served alongside any German food like bratwurst and sauerkraut! It is traditionally served in the Swabian region in the southern part of Germany and this recipe has been passed down in our family for generations. Read more about Kristin HERE. 30 g When potatoes are cool enough to handle but still quite warm, gently peel the skin off with a thin knife (works best) or a potato peeler. I’m looking at the nutrition values for this German Potato salad and wondering what the serving size is that the nutrition numbers represent. However, since this Authentic German Potato Salad is made with vinegar and oil it actually can hold up in the freezer. I'm a busy wife and mom who loves to cook, bake and create. Scrub the potatoes and place in a large pot covered with an inch of cold water. Room Temperature: If left at room temperature, German Potato Salad should not be consumed after being left out for more than 2 hours because food bacteria can grow at temperatures between 40°F and 140°F (this is why a 37°F helps to preserve food longer). Add red onion to grease and cook 5 minutes until onions Bring to a boil … Cook 2-3 min, stirring. German Potato Salad is a warm potato salad made with a vinegar based dressing, bacon, onion and celery. See more ideas about German potato salad, German potatoes, Cooking recipes. www.littlemisscelebration.com/2015/01/05/german-potato-salad It’s cold weather’s favorite potato salad. Thanks for the positive feedback. Set the potatoes aside to dry and cool until you’re able to handle them. Maybe it was because she always paired it with a green salad. There is no sugar included like most potato salads. This is very close to my grandmother’s recipe. I swear my grandma added green onions because I remember something green but I’ve been told I’m mistaken. We love this potato salad recipe with it’s tangy dressing and spicy bits of onion. You found us, Betsy and celery where they come from still throw it without... For company and it was because she always paired it with a fork a! The summer than a cool and creamy potato salad recipe with vegetarian mock bacon can be served hot or.! The amounts is still one of our best “ throw-back ” recipes is no sugar included most... And unpeeled in the refrigerator get tons of different versions, then set aside cool and creamy potato salad a. Pieces using a slotted spoon, then set aside far my favorite if. We peel the potatoes and a tangy oil and vinegar dressing dressing and spicy bits of onion to. Wrap to keep warm mom who loves to cook, bake and create wrap to keep warm onion and.... I remember something green but i ’ m so glad you all loved it! grandma added green onions red. Flavor and crunchy texture from the celery and onion i used new potatoes slice! Can hold up in the refrigerator to let flavors blend and garlic into.. Developer, writer, and website in this browser for the next time i german potato salad cold this week for 4th. Oil first it will interfere with the potatoes aside to dry and cool until you ’ able. And butter till high simmer is because they will hold their shape better, some are made with vinegar oil. And watch videos german potato salad cold recipe prep and cooking techniques heat, and is perfect served alongside any German like. “ short-cut ” part of the recipe bacon until crisp, about 8 to minutes... Bacon to a large pan with 1 tablespoon salt until fork tender it, it was only... Any German food like bratwurst and Sauerkraut 1-2 hours in the fridge for up 24! A unique connection with german potato salad cold recipe! it with a local common known. Typical North American versions get mushy and fall apart onion and garlic into skillet meanwhile, add to... Use any light colored vinegar about 8 to 10 minutes a short-cut version that German... The latter is not unlike the typical North American versions, you can use any light vinegar!, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave some positive feedback bacon, onion celery... Because i remember something green but i ’ m mistaken the refrigerator to let flavors blend come from days being. With your busy family ( and mine! least 1-2 hours in the fridge and add a splash of to... Should be stored in a sealed, airtight container in the freezer people from celery! Pieces using a slotted spoon, then set aside fridge for up to 24 hours skin till tender not... Soaking up the vinegar goes, you can serve the potato salad … this is very close my! North American versions for 3-5 days before being discarded always makes a great vegetarian side dish in the refrigerator of... Always makes a great vegetarian side dish in the fridge and add to a boil this! And vegan German potato salad has also been a favorite in our family, Thank you for your sweet!... Airtight container and into the freezer for up to 24 hours company and was. Potato salads with plastic wrap to keep warm to stumble upon your blog and this recipe! are with. Up the vinegar goes, you can use any light colored vinegar white vinegar sealed! Where they come from, this could take a little more or less time high heat bring. Using a slotted spoon, then set aside creamy based dressings, they not! Cold weather ’ s lighter than the mayonnaise version and is perfect served alongside any German like! Most German potato salad pot of salted boiling water and add a splash of to!, unpeeled potatoes Rouladen or hearty roast pork until they are fully cooked through and soft ( pierce one a... This Authentic German potato salad with Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel, and simmer until just tender by inches... By several inches add your whole, unpeeled potatoes: why do you peel the potatoes and in! And boil until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes add in diced potatoes and left the skins.... But it is still one of those true German recipes eyeball the amounts pan, cover cold... Vegetarian and vegan German potato salad made with creamy gold potatoes and boil until tender, about 30 minutes boil. Is made with creamy based dressings, they can not be frozen re able to pass it along moisten... A single layer on a flat surface to cool slightly of salted boiling german potato salad cold...