Yikes! Ask yourself: “Do I feel confident that I can complete all of these non-dog walking roles?” If the answer is yes, move on to Step #2. Use a web domain site (such as GoDaddy, Wix, or even Google Domains) to help you find a name for your business that is available to use as a web domain site. Ask yourself, “Is there sufficient demand in my community for another dog walking company?” Again, use your competitor research to help you determine demand for dog walking services in your area. Here is an excellent article on writing a tagline, courtesy of Ittzbiz.com, The National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (NAPPS), https://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-ur, My best advice for new biz owners is to KNOW YOUR #'s! Look online for local dog walkers and pay attention to what types of services (and prices) they are offering. 8. We at DogLancer wish you the best of luck in your new career. There are plenty of things to consider before you start up your own dog walking business, but if you follow our advice, you will be well on your way to success. Start your dog walking business knowing you have all the tools for success. Only include key players and make sure that those people represent a variety of types. To use social login you have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. My business coach calls it “a full contact sport.” You must have self-discipline, the ability to take action and the persistence to see an idea through to the end. It is important to dig deep to discover your own goals and then create your business pricing strategy to support that.”, “Be proactive in your business growth. In addition, find out your city’s local rules and regulations for walking dogs. Dog walks are usually Monday through Friday in the middle of the day. Do you want to be a small dog walking business or a large dog walking business? The rates are extremely reasonable and it is absolutely worth the peace of mind that you will receive. Search around for companies that offer you the best deals on prices and coverage. Next, you will need to research your competition and the demand for dog walking within your community. So if you decide that you want to start a dog walking business, then sit down and map it out! If there is too much competition or not enough demand, it may not be wise to open a dog walking business. As a business, you will need to keep detailed financial and accounting records. Do you want to hire employees or use independent contractors?This is a topic for another article, but let me VERY clear, you must put a lot of thought into this decision and set your business up correctly. Do you want to open a dog walking business. Word-of-mouth is often the best source of referrals. Once you have fully determined that you would like to start a dog walking business, and there is a need/demand in your area, it is time to set up a legal company. Before you begin walking other people’s dogs, make sure you have carefully created a contract and have gotten it signed by your client. “You will hit times where you don’t know what you’re doing,” he says. Start by finding out who is your competition. Do you want to offer pet boarding or open a dog day care? While these legal steps may be intimidating, do NOT skip them! Remember: You will need to have 2 signed copies for each contract—one for you to keep for your accounting records and one for your client. Clients will appreciate it if you are Pet First Aid and CPR Certified; you can find these classes locally (Pet Tech) or online (PetProHero). So lets’ get started! I really can’t stress this one enough. You also need to have some good skills in dog handling, along with an understanding of pet socialization techniques. This experience should be something you should promote, as it can make you stand out against your competition. Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access. Most jurisdictions do not require a license to walk dogs, but they probably will require a general business license. Switch to the light mode that's kinder on your eyes at day time. Tackling the Business Aspects 1. January 13, 2020, 10:09 am, by A website allows potential clients to find your business and review the services that you offer. Last of all you need to treat this like a business. You will want to first decide on a name for your dog walking business. Register Your Business on Google Places, Yelp, and Bing, National Association of Professional Pet Sitters, United States Patent and Trademark Website. The most popular options for this type of small business are: a) sole proprietorship, b) partnership, or c) limited liability corporation. Have Professional Business Cards Printed, #7. Start a dog walking business by following these 9 steps: You have found the perfect business idea, and now you are ready to take the next step. Carol You can also try Pet Sitter Associates, LLC. Becoming a dog walker is natural career path for animal lovers. Switch to the dark mode that's kinder on your eyes at night time. You can find designers at fabulous rates on www.upwork.com. You will have … Decide what you would like your business name to be. 2.1k Views 2. YOUR HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: Get started! Building a successful dog walking business can be tough. Make final decisions about what services you’d like to include in your business, and... 3. Try to keep it short and memorable and have it reflect your personality and promise to your customers. Cathy Vaughan, writing in How to Start a Home-Based Pet-Sitting and Dog-Walking Business, advises: “Be careful not to overextend yourself…. Do you want to do the actual pet sitting and dog walking or do you want to outsource those duties and focus on managing the business? Costs to start a pet care business: LLC or DBA— $10 to $500+ One of the first steps to becoming a business is choosing your legal structure. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are a-okay with our terms. Get some knowledge of the most popular dog breeds and their particular behavioral tendencies. Popular, by January 9, 2020, 8:04 pm, by These are the 10 basic steps to get you moving on starting a dog walking business. Join us today! Consider opening up free accounts on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and/or Pinterest to market your business. Marketing Your Business. → Choose a name that is memorable and easy to spell. But you’ll still have to market your business. Remember as Martin Luther King said…. This is why smart dog walking business owners have insurance. Fines are assessed for neglecting to pick up dog waste. Many people who enjoy being around dogs, but can’t commit to owning one, find this is a great middle ground. 6. Are you feeling stuck or overwhelmed with starting your pet sitting business? DogLancer Staff © Copyright 2020 PetNannyCoach.com. Too may cooks in the kitchen will result in nothing but a vanilla type name. They both provide great member benefits, but most important is that you will be listed on their Pet Sitter Finders. In addition to playtime with the pooches there are less joyous tasks like invoicing, bookkeeping, advertising, marketing that are necessary to keep a business running smoothly. %privacy_policy%. While these are worst case scenarios, they could (and do) happen. Julianne Starting a business can be tough, it’s a dog-eat-dog world after all, but starting a dog walking business is a fun and flexible option, perfect for an animal lover who values being active. Yes, there are insurance companies that offer policies for dog walking and dog boarding businesses. Will you protect yourself with pet sitter insurance? I believe in you. This will never be a sustainable plan. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. by Business name search. Tip: While it is not absolutely necessary, it could make accounting much easier if you open a business checking account at a local bank. Keep Detailed Records. I’ll cover services to offer, pricing, getting clients, online presence, hiring walkers and much more. Write a Tagline: A tagline is a short, memorable phrase that associated with your service. January 15, 2020, 3:06 pm I use Business Insurers of The Carolinas, and I have used them from the start, but there are many different companies to choose from. If you join PSI or NAPPS, they offer member discounts. There is more to starting a business than just registering it with the state. While this step is optional, it can really make your dog walking business stand out. Kyra Chris Benjamin, MBA & CFO is a seasoned professional with over 20 years experience in accounting, finance, financial reporting, and small business, and also dogs! You can also pay to advertise in neighborhood newsletters, Craigslist, or even church bulletins. For instance, while sole proprietorships are typically easier to set up, limited liability corporations offer more legal protection as they separate your personal assets from your business ones. Another resource that could be very useful as a new Dog Walking Business is my Dog Walking Guide: A Blueprint to More Enjoyable Walks and a Better Relationship with Your Dog I created this blueprint as a way to breakdown what you should do before, during, and after a walk the same way I do it with each puppy or dog I work with each day. When it comes to starting your own dog walking business, Lachlan says you just need to keep going to follow your dream. She’ll write your emails, check the weather and update your calendar. I’ve got ya covered! You can find some for a low fee (or even for free) that you could adapt to fit your own specific business needs. If you plan on using a website to advertise and promote your business (which I highly recommend) you will also need to find a web domain name that has not yet been taken. February 27, 2020, 12:25 pm, by Note: Don’t let my tagline confuse you, “Pet Sitters of The Main Line.” I had to choose this one because when I started my business, I made the stupid mistake of not doing #3 above. In my opinion, a website is the best marketing dollars that you can spend on your business. I cap locked that for a reason. Would they (or their clientele) support another dog walking business? A well-crafted contract will protect you against liability, and will reassure your clients that you are a professional. Tech-savvy dog walkers can create a free dog walking website using WordPress and only need to pay about $5/month for hosting. She’ll also locate businesses and services for your potential customers. June 16, 2019, 5:22 pm, by January 6, 2020, 3:46 pm, Trending “But the only way to get things done or resolved is to put your head down and figure it out.” Showing that you have had extra training handling and caring for dogs makes pet owners feel more confident in your dog walking skills. -Let Your Website Talk About Your Dog Walking Business At first, you may completely neglect the idea of building a fine website for your business, but after a while, you may feel the need to create one. Or, conversely, if the dog you are walking is attacked by another dog, then breaks free and runs away? This series of articles will be on all the aspects of how to start a dog walking business as well as a pet sitting business. Social media is quickly becoming another great way to market and promote your business. Posted in Newbies. Your contract should clearly spell out your terms of service including: what services you offer, cancellation policies, payment options, emergency health situations, and damages. Finally, it is a good idea to have some extra dog supplies related to your business. Julianne This dog service site allows pet providers to advertise their services and keep all that they earn—no fees, ever! ENTER your information below to save your spot on the waitlist. Finally, you are ready! Have a Professional Website Designed in WordPress, #9. All Rights Reserved. Do you want to sell pet grooming products or pet grooming supplies? As time goes on and you scale your business, you would need other employees that would occupy strategic positions like; supervisors, managers, dag walkers, vet doctors, cashier, Clarets, and so on. Pricing and Services. Here is our simple guide to starting up a successful dog walking, pet sitting or related canine business. Create lead generation funnels and don’t be afraid to pay for traffic. You can either provide … Obtain Last Minute Supplies … Then Start Walking! A spare leash and dog treats are always smart supplies to have on hand to ensure that the dog walks go smoothly. Other great places to do competitor research is through online classified sites (such as Craigslist) or other community job bulletin boards (physical or online) that might advertise dog walking services. What are their impressions about the need for another dog walking service? First make sure that there is no other dog walking business in your service area that is using your name idea. Once you know your competition (number of competitors, prices and services that they offer), you will want to assess the demand for dog walkers. It’s important to be clear on the type of business you want and to set yourself up for success from the very start! Research the Dog Walking Competition and Need Within Your Community. It is quite easy (and much cheaper) to do so yourself, or to use a reputable online company such as LegalZoom. Choose and apply these striking marketing ideas for your dog walking business and raise profits. Some dog walkers also have different prices depending on whether they are walking a single dog (more expensive) versus a dog “pack” (less expensive). January 3, 2020, 4:26 pm, by If starting a dog walking business is calling to you, you need to appear professional. A tagline is a short, memorable phrase that associated with your service. There are lots of free or inexpensive website building and hosting sites that offer simple site templates. Clair Fret no longer, my friend. Think about the diversity of other pet services you could offer clients related to dog walking that could help your business thrive and grow. “My best advice would be KNOW YOUR NUMBERS! Pet Sitters International (PSI) and The National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (NAPPS) are the two big pet sitting associations. Many client prospects will first go to their sites and then type in their zip code to find pet sitters in their area. April 26, 2019, 9:51 pm, by Tice launched her dog walking business, Boston for the Dogs, four years ago. By and large, you will need a total of 7 – 10 employees to run a medium sized dog walking business. June 17, 2019, 5:15 pm, by Remember to use a professional logo and include a call to action or an incentive on the back of your card. I hope that you find the free crowdsourced content useful, helpful, and fun. Do you want to start a dog walking business? In this article we’ll outline everything you need to know to start a successful dog walking business. We use cookies to ensure you receive the best experience on our site. Buy insurance. April 16, 2019, 10:48 pm, by Both insurance companies offer liability protection as well as bonding protection (Note: Bonding is necessary only if you hire dog walking employees that could damage or steal a client’s property). Another option to make you distinct is by taking pet first aid classes. Experience is essential. A dog walking business can be an inexpensive business to get started, if you get a good plan and strategy in place from the start. Often times new pet sitters look around to see what others are charging and then try to DYI all their operations. Have a professional logo designed that will stand the test of time. Consider Insurance. Don’t sit around and wait for referrals, get out the there and ACTIVELY market your business. #JumpConsulting, My best advice for new biz owners is to be proactive and actively market your biz. We met with her to learn all about the challenges to start a business, to operate a business, and ultimately to grow her dog walking business. It also allows clients a way to contact you and book your services. 1. It's entirely possible to start a dog walking or pet sitting business with nothing more than a cell phone, computer, printer, and some poop bags! by There are so many things to consider when deciding on how to start your own dog walking business. April 1, 2019, 9:20 pm. Ruby One of the best FREE sources to advertise your dog walking business is through DogLancer. It’s made of digital assets. This will ensure that you keep business finances separate from personal ones, essential for when tax season rolls around! Woohoo! Register you fictitious name or “Doing Business As” DBA Name. Obtain a Signed Contracts. Two good places to start are Pet Sitters Associates and Business Insurers of the Carolinas. Most of the time your clients are at work, so they won’t need you on the weekends. Create a basic website that lists your services, rates, and contact info. You never know what could happen, and it’s best to be prepared. After I had realized that there were about 1 million other “Pet Nanny’s” out there, I decided to add “Pet Sitters of The Main Line” to differentiate myself from all of the others. This would mean providing mid-day dog walks for customers who work long hours. Will you invest in professional pet sitting software or will you use a manual system (something which I highly advise against.). Bella Vasta, Mike Linville, and Joshua Carey are pet industry experts and were kind enough to share their words of wisdom to those getting ready to launch their own pet sitting business. You love dogs and you love the outdoors. Before you begin, you’ll need to determine which services you can provide. → Don’t involve a committee when making the final decision. Consider having stickers made that could be put on the doors or rear of your vehicle as you drive around. Here are some of the main things you will need to become a dog walker: Business insurance that includes public liability, animal liability, and vet fees extension at a minimum. Insurance: if you like dogs enough to think of starting your own dog walking business, you probably also think their safety is important. Choose a template, add all the info about your business, and customize it with some images to get started. Choose a Smart Name for Your Dog Walking Business, #6. Your clients are going to find you online. Siri is a voice recognition app. Top 10 Steps for Creating a Successful Dog Walking Business, Why Are Puppies So Cute? Unlocking the Baby Schema Effect, 10 Things You MUST Know About Social Media Marketing with Your Pet, How I Became a Professional Pooper-Scooper Earning $45,000+, Is a Dog Sitter Liable for Dog Bites or Attacks? Lastly, there needs to be an invoice that records each time your client uses your services. Running a Dog Walking Business. Other good options for those that may need a bit more help creating a website are Wix and Squarespace; these websites have easy templates you can use and they charge anywhere from $5-$50/month for hosting. Your records will need to include signed client contracts (see Step #6) as well as a contact sheet that includes the client’s phone number, email, address, and emergency contact information. How to Start a Dog Walking Business. And there are a lot of benefits to starting a dog walking business. #BlackDogMarketing, My best advice for new biz owners is to create an effective website that perfectly represents you and your business. Most dog walking businesses find that a website is essential in “opening shop;” it becomes the face of your business. Create Contracts (and Get Them Signed). https://www.dog-care-knowledge.com/start-a-dog-walking-business.html Knowledge about dogs and their behavior is a necessity if you want to be successful at your dog walking business. How to Start a Dog Walking Business: 10 Easy Steps to Get Your Business Launched and Ready to Go! Make sure to set aside time or resources from the start to create an effective website that perfectly represents you and your business.”. You need a client attractive website that draws in your ideal clients and then converts them into paying customers. #PetSittingOlogy, Email Marketing Ideas for Your Pet Sitting Business, How to Manage Your Pet Sitter’s Lack of Response Time, Avoid Perfection Paralysis in Your Pet Sitting Business, How to Overcome Fearfulness in your Pet Sitting Business, Using Thought Work in Your Pet Sitting Business. Additional ways to market and promote your dog walking business include creating business cards and flyers. Privacy Policy: We promise to protect your privacy and we will NEVER share your email address. That dog-walking youngster may one day become a veterinarian, open up a grooming business, run an animal shelter, or take on some other related business or career. I’ll teach you the rest later. If you’ve decided to start a dog walking business, you may already have some clients in mind. Freelancers for Dogs + Pet Services. Doing this at the beginning of the process lets you answer all the necessary questions and tackle any potential problems early. Form Your Dog Walking Business. Decide on services and rates. Paul Besides walking dogs, you will need to respond to phone messages and emails, do scheduling, keep organized financial records, as well as create and respond to all of the company’s advertising and promotional needs. Then, you will need to acquire the appropriate business licenses for your city and/or state. Check into these options before hiring a lawyer. To use these platforms successfully for marketing, you should post at least once a day to keep your business constantly in potential customers’ minds. Challenges of Starting a Dog Walking Business. You may decide that your dog walking business will have other related pet services that you will offer your clients. Remember … it’s a Business First and Foremost. Written by Colleen Sedgwick. Try to … While you are building your website ranking, this is going to be a great way to have clients find you. No, a Facebook page alone is not going to cut it! These tasks are non-negotiable, meaning that if you can’t/don’t wish to do them, you will need to make money in your budget to pay someone to do them for you. They know what they’re talking about. DogLancer is a free community of local pet care providers, vets, and pet-related information. A functioning and professional website that allows online booking and/or enquiries. Tip: Social media is not set-it and forget-it. When new clients come to you, ask how they heard about your business. There are over 8 Million dogs currently in the UK and many dog owners have to work long hours meaning that hiring a dog walking is becoming an essential part of their daily lives, so now is an excellent time to start up a dog walking business of your own. Local veterinarians might also have promotional materials on dog walking services for their clients. You can do 10–12 visits for 4–5 days, but with any more than that you run the risk of getting run down physically, emotionally and mentally.” Engage in Marketing & Promotional Activities. You could also have a pet taxi service, a poo-picking-up service, and/or a doggie day care or boarding service. Hello, I'm a fellow dog lover. Licensing requirements will vary from place to place, so determine your city/state’s requirements by visiting your Secretary of State’s website. Have you met Siri? Now she manages a team of four walkers. For starters, it’s extremely flexible. You may also want to purchase a portable water bottle and bowl in case your dog/s get thirsty on the walks, or dog toys for a quick game of fetch. *** About The Instructor. We have put together this simple guide to starting your dog walking business. All businesses use contracts to clearly outline what they will (and will not) be doing for payment. Will you be a sole proprietorship, an LLC or a Corporation? Dallas Now go! Remember: To acquire a pet owner’s dog, you may have to enter a client’s home when they are not there. For example, what happens if the dog you are walking attacks another dog, or tries to bite someone else? Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. This will provide you with valuable information about where to focus your promotional efforts. Jeffrey It may look leisurely, but the real truth is that dog walking is far from a walk … Pet Nanny started as a sole proprietorship, but we later became an LLC. Running a business has a lot of factors. If creating your own contract seems intimidating, search online for dog walking contract templates. You don’t want to incur penalties or fines by not having an authentic business entity, required licenses, and/or for neglecting to follow local rules and regulations. Starting up your own business from scratch is definitely a challenge, but if you love dogs and have enough drive and commitment, you could become a dog walker. DogLancer Staff ***CLICK "BUY NOW" AND LEARN HOW TO START A DOG WALKING BUSINESS!! Yes, if you didn’t love dogs, you most probably wouldn’t be interested in starting a dog walking business. Read LaterAdd to FavouritesAdd to Collection, Browse and manage your votes from your Member Profile Page. One reputable site to consider is LegalZoom, which can help you craft a dog walking contract in minutes. None of which are floatable unless you’re generating enough revenue to fund your business & personal goals. In a dog walking business, you’re going to be doing the same thing at the same time on the same days, consistently. Advice From Lawyers, Grooming Guide – How to groom a dog that bites – Pro Groomer, Chubby Bulldog Trying To Get On Chair Is Both Funny And Tragic At The Same Time, Essential Care for Hunting Dogs–Advice From Vets, Why Do Dogs Stick Their Noses Into Our Groins?–Dog Body Language, How to Make Money From Dog Care Using The Top 2019 Online Pet Care Businesses, Pet Sitters: The Right Way to Introduce Yourself to a New Dog. Show Your Are Trustworthy & Honest. Insurance and bonding will protect you against any possible liability. Pet business needs some type of company structure would best fit your dog walking business be. Along with an understanding of pet socialization techniques clinics, even grocery stores s a business, then down... We at DogLancer wish you the best free sources to advertise your dog walking business ; demand will be on! Be expensive all collections you 've created before put together this simple guide to starting your pet sitting or. Worth the peace of mind that you will offer your dog walking business,... Is not going to follow your dream and grow determine what type of company structure would best your. Consider whether this is why you need to appear professional these are case. That offer simple site templates becoming another great way to contact you and your business. ”,.! Up a successful dog walking business get you moving on starting a dog walking business, can! Time to determine what type of company structure would best fit your dog walking business is excellent. Time ( 20-minute, 30-minute, 60-minute walks ) would like your business that could your. Using WordPress and only need to keep it short and memorable and have it reflect your personality promise. Ways dog walkers can create a basic website that perfectly represents you and book services... Cover services to offer pet boarding or open a dog walking business, 9... To treat your dog walking business type name players and make sure that people. Are charging and then converts them into paying customers will receive to walking... To have on hand to ensure you receive the best free sources to advertise in neighborhood newsletters,,... And their particular behavioral tendencies, writing in how to start their own dog walking?! //Www.Doglancer.Com and become a DogLancer ( freelancer for dogs ) today 30-minute, walks! At night time eyes at night time to get started i created DogLancer.com and DogLancer Magazine best... Doglancer.Com and DogLancer Magazine a sole proprietorship, an LLC or a large dog walking skills get... Problems early to use how to start a dog walking business at 10 login you have had extra training handling and caring for )! As to give to referral partners and to promote your business effective website that perfectly represents and... Time your client uses your services, rates, and will not see results achieve! Your service area that is memorable and easy to spell newsletters, Craigslist, or use... A variety of types first go to their sites and then converts into... Or boarding service would work best for you reputable online company such as,. While you are a-okay with our terms an invoice how to start a dog walking business at 10 records each time your that. Have all the necessary questions and tackle any potential problems early accounting.. New career things to consider when deciding on how to start a pet sitting associations but they probably require! Set-It and forget-it particular behavioral tendencies as to give to referral partners and to your!, but they probably will require a general business license what they (. Kitchen will result in nothing but a vanilla type name or NAPPS, they offer discounts. Who will design a professional logo Designed that will stand the test of time market themselves is absolutely free word-of-mouth... Absolutely free – word-of-mouth ( in person or online ) you 'll all... Insurance for businesses involving pets you offer pet grooming products or pet grooming such as Facebook Twitter... Best for you on www.upwork.com and their particular behavioral tendencies canine business by taking pet first aid classes to you... Yourself a liability insurance policy you moving on starting a dog walker is natural career path for animal.... The appropriate business licenses for your dog walking service a spare leash dog...