[–]ZforZenyattaWitch 7 points8 points9 points 2 years ago (2 children). College of Lore. Weapon (any sword), legendary (requires attunement) The instruments of the bards were magical masterwork musical instruments that were extremely effective in the hands of bards. I also like Dual Wielding, but I can also re-flavor a shield as a parrying blade if need be. TL;DR which collage have you played and preferred for the similar role of melee combat and why? I'm actually lv 3 now. Blades perform stunts such as sword swallowing, knife throwing and juggling, and mock combats. I'd grab the War Caster feat with my first ASI and then whatever else depending on weapon/armor choices and stats. Bards of the College of Swords are called blades, and they entertain through daring feats of weapon prowess. [–]SirKiren 0 points1 point2 points 2 years ago (1 child). use the following search parameters to narrow your results: A place to discuss the latest version of Dungeons & Dragons, the fifth edition, known during the playtest as D&D Next. Though I did realize my biggest issue is that Sword Bard lets me use my weapon as a spell ficus but neither Valor or Hexblade does, which seems to be a huge problem when using shields, and it also sort of conflicts with the Valor Bard's lv 14 skill, since they'd have to sheath the sword to cast, then can't unsheath to make the bonus action attack they should have... Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy. Of course, players looking to make a bard in D&D 5e should keep in mind that a … In this post, we will be examining the Bard’s Class Features and how you can optimize your Bard through choosing your Race, Ability Score, Spells, Feats, etc. Sword Bard is the way to go. Valor's inspiration is indeed more versatile than the basic one, but you're losing out on the maneuvers. Character Building. 2nd lvl dip 2 Invocations, Blur and Branding Smite, 3rd level Pact of the Blade + Improved Pact Weapon Invocation (Spell casting focus, +1 atk & dmg) -> replaces 1 prev invocation, Blink and Elemental Weapon. ... For me, cool character concept > mechanics. Feel free to add to the community resource folder and the resource list. Homebrew must be tagged - Homebrew submissions should begin with the [Homebrew] tag or contain the [Homebrew] flair, and you may only post one new homebrew thread per day. Last edited by guachi; 2018-11-03 at 08:33 PM . I believe we will be starting out at level 5. and the character would probably go 4 levels of Swords before even touching Hexblade (though I can be convinced otherwise). Though they use their weapons to entertain, they are … As a Valor Bard, I would cast Concentration debuffs if I'm ranged (Faerie Fire) and non-Concentration debuffs if I'm melee (Blindness and Plant Growth). Sword Bard can use Flourishes 5 times per -Short Rest-, which is a huge difference. Discussion: How do people feel about Variant Class Features? But I kind of like the Valor inspiration uses more (reminds me of cutting words for support). You're really going to feel that if you guys are starting at level 5. 5E has a short list of artifacts, so it’s basically a race between the Sword of Kas, the Sword of Zariel (from Descent into Avernus), and Ed Han’s more than credible choice of Blackrazor. As such, for me anyway, Valor Bard is better at support because their damage output isn't hindered (much) by casting support spells. Played a Valor Bard at lvl 15, I rarely used Concentration spells, but my turns were either cast and attack, or attack twice and Inspire. [5e] Swashbuckler Rogue/Swords Bard I originally went into this build thinking like a cocky sailor swordsperson but without the whole pirate vibe, more self-controlled and a scholar. Both are excellent, but there's 4 huge differences. Limit self-promotional links - Any self-promotional external links (such as blogs, storefronts, or Kickstarters) should be posted no more than once every 14 days, regardless of the website being linked to, whether in submissions or in comments on others' posts. I could cast Hex before drawing my sword but any during combat losses of concentration would lose it permanently for the encounter unless I free up a hand. Their powers could only be effectively used by bards, and in fact, any non-bard that attempted to use one of these instruments ran the risk of injury. If I go Valor though, I wouldn’t need to burn a feat in Dual Wielder and end up with more AC anyways eventually with a magic shield I suppose in the long haul? Spell Name School Casting Time Range Duration Components; Blade Ward: Abjuration: 1 Action: Self: 1 round: V, S: Dancing Lights: Evocation: 1 Action: 120 Feet: Concentration up to 1 minute Sword Bard 6 / Swashbuckler Rogue 3 and Sword Bard 6 / Hexblade 2 are my two favorite mid-tier Gish combos currently. The bard has managed to grow beyond the subpar abilities of previous editions to become one of the best classes in Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition.It is a full caster class boasting a robust spell list and has the ability to steal a total of 6 spells from any other list in the game. Class: Bard. Fellow DMs.. How do I deal with players who constantly ask for magic items? A Sword bard really shouldn't be hording dice, they should be using them to deal damage. Like what the Bard … Do not suggest ways for such material to be obtained. Yeah I could haste myself for 2 attacks but that eats my concentration which could be used for something like Faerie fire for everyone. Official sources, homebrew images, and new information/product photos are the exception. Valour gets shields while Swords doesn't. I was originally going to go full Rogue but ended up wanting to multiclass a little. Valor Bard is still more focused on support in combat, using their Inspiration to aid the party. The college of swords is good, but it's great with a small multiclass IMO.. Fighting styles with full spell casting is pretty nice, as you've mentioned. Hexblade/Swords Bard is gonna be the top tier TWF build, which, thanks to the changes made to Hex Warrior, is now properly viable. Bards: Sword vs Valor?Advice (self.dndnext), submitted 2 years ago by Ryunosuke-Ryusei. We discuss the next subclass in the series from the Dungeon Master's Guide: the College of Swords Bard! Playing a college of swords right now at 5th level with magic initiate for booming blade and the shield spell. Its gonna be a human with War Caster (for the OA booming blade) which helps with somatic problems when casting for both bard and warlock. How often is the bonus action attack on valor decent, is the infinite defensive flourish better than a magic shield, how strong is a fighting style into t3/4, etc, [–]chunkosauruswrex 0 points1 point2 points 2 years ago (0 children), Don't forget the fighting styles of swords, [–]Kilowog42 3 points4 points5 points 2 years ago (2 children). Would put remaining levels in either Rogue or Bard, depending on whether I want to focus on SA or casting for that campaign. And immediately I started comparing with BM maneuvers. I think this concept of a "party face" is a little silly - if your character has something to say, or a persuasive argument, do it! Is fudging a dice roll ok? I just read about Bard and College of Sword and his Blade Flourish. What's your opinion on graviturgy wizards? The main idea is to be good at melee in addition to my other stuff so the valor inspiration seems better since it’s functionally the same as how I used to use Cutting Words (lore bard) but it will burn an ally’s own reaction instead of my own now which might be bad in higher levels?