Milorganite was applied overhead at 4 oz. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. To remember when to fertilize in the north and south we recommend using the “holiday schedule.” The specific holidays when you fertilize will depend on whether you have northern (cool) season grass or southern (warm) season grass. All Rights Reserved  |  Home  |  About, We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I was told that yes it takes 8-10 weeks for the fertilizer to go through its cycle. First off, it is a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer. As a great supplement enriched with iron, within days you will see a great result. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. ft. It stays on the soil until water and temperature conditions are just right for soil microbes to break down the nutrients in Milorganite for plants to use. In this study Milorganite did not completely eliminate deer damage, but it did greatly reduce it. It contains no salts, which makes it safe to apply during the summer and in drought conditions when used as directed. It’s important to be aware of these, as if you don’t abide by the instructions, you’re unlikely to achieve the best possible results for your property. In this article I’ll explain the best schedule for Milorganite application so you can maximize the benefit of this incredible organic fertilizer without wasting money by applying it too frequently. 1 How to do a soil test. MD & MI: Apply Milorganite two times per year at the rate of 32 lbs per 5,200 sq ft (per state regulations). But it's easy to over-apply Scotts fertilizer, which results in burned grass. In this case you will want to fertilize with Milorganite four times every year for best results. While the fertilizer is not water-soluble, water helps in the grass uptake of microorganisms broken down Milorganite that is soluble. This may cause your lawn to be less hardy as it enters cold weather and more susceptible to winter injury. I understand Milorganite is organic and won't burn, just want to make sure it's OK to apply a few weeks after Scotts Max Green. Based on NYS rules, a waiting period of 38 months should be observed between application of any sludge product, including Milorganite, and planting of food crops." The product, which is the microbes left over, are heat-dried, which makes them safe to apply and free of pathogens. I called Milorganite's front office to get the final story. This is 2x the recommended rate for established lawns, but will really give your young grass the nutrients they need to thrive. You can either have Perennial Ryegrass, Kentucky bluegrass or Fescue. When deciding on an application schedule and finding out how much Milorganite fertilizer you should apply, you must consider the species of grass you have and where you live. The rate on the bag is a suggestion, a starting point. 3 months later, hand spread 2 lbs. per plant. Check out this online tool to learn your current soil temperature. Your location will depend on when exactly this is, but it is usually mid-late November. How to Use Milorganite “How do I apply milorganite to my lawn?” The holiday calendar mentioned above should be your guide on when you need to apply the fertilizer. When you do a soil test sometimes you need to apply micronutrients or macronutrients to the soil. In the south, apply Milorganite around Labor Day and again in early-October. In spring, fertilize your lawn with Milorganite after the last frost and once your lawn begins to grow and green. And I am using 5.546 setting. I renovated my patchy lawn this week. Ok to apply Milorganite in hotter temps? The all purpose, non-burning, slow-release nitrogen fertilizer feeds the plant and soil. Fertilizers like everything else have limits. bag per 2,500 sq. This small amount 1.1I1illnever force excessive . Although it applies year-round, not just in fall, don’t let your lawn-mowing habits inhibit your lawn. Don’t Mow in the Same Direction. Mix Milorganite into the top two inches of soil before seeding or sodding. This dries out the microbes, destroying all of the pathogens, making it one of the safest organic fertilizers to use on your lawn or in your garden. I’ve got lots of good info in this article and hope you read the whole thing, but if you’re just here for a Milorganite application schedule, I’ve got you … you can skip ahead right here: Milorganite is an organic fertilizer for lawns and gardens which is manufactured by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District. How to Start a Lawn Care Business Legally, How to Mow Tall Grass Without Damaging Your Lawn, Annual Lawn Care Schedule: Northeast US Region. Also, it contains a iron, which means when you apply Milorganite it will help grass achieve a beautiful dark green color. The exception for southern lawns is if you have Bahia or Centipedegrass. Centipedegrass and Bahia grass prefer spring and summer feedings, and to help prevent winterkill, avoid fertilizing these varieties in the fall. Milorganite can be used without restriction on gardens growing food crops intended for human consumption under United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rules. Before you apply fertilizer, do a soil test to tell the nutrients your lawn is missing. Many lawn care experts recommend you do this as Milorganite doesn’t contain all the necessary nutrients, and this can throw your lawn and soil out of balance. You won’t have to worry about wasting it on grass that will not grow. FL & MD: Apply Milorganite two times per year at the rate of 32lbs per 5,200 sq ft (per state regulations). It’s generally best to apply Milorganite fertilizer to warm-season grass at the following times of year: Examples of cool-season grasses are Perennial Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, and Fescue. Keep in mind that if you have a 1/3 acre property, your house, driveway, and gardens occupy some of your lot’s square footage, so you probably won’t need 6 full bags for your property. If you’re looking for a magic bullet that will transform your lawn to make it the envy of your neighbors, give Milorganite a try. A good rule of thumb is when daytime temperatures are consistently in the 60s which means soil temperatures are in the mid-50s. That holiday is used as a way for most people to remember when to apply it. 6 Best Milorganite Alternatives for Your Lawn in 2020 | CG Lawn Sodding Tip: Spread a little top soil over the seams where the rolls of sod meet. Milorganite is a popular organic fertilizer for many reasons. Before applying Milorganite check whether the lawn has moisture or not. If your lawn is in the Northeastern US, pacific northwest, or northern half of the midwestern United States it’s likely that you have cool season grasses, which you should fertilize these grasses four times annually. The meticulous process of production involves the microbes being dried under tremendously high temperatures of between 900 and 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. Might be as close to a milorganite replacement as we can get. The manufacturer of Milorganite fertilizer recommends specific application rates and schedules. This allows you to apply nitrogen fertilizers less frequently, and the slow steady release provides nutrients for up to 10 weeks. It’s best to apply Milorganite to your lawn up to 4 times a year. Northern Grasses such as Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, and Perennial Ryegrass should be fertilized four (4) times per year. One potential drawback to using Ironite, however, is that it can stain concrete, so you have to be very careful when applying it – especially if you use the liquid form. How to set your spreader for Milorganite. (My Experience) One of the reasons why I’ve liked using milorganite over the past couple years, is that it really helps to build our soil, so depending on what kind of soil you have maybe you have a clay soil, maybe you have a really sandy soil there’s not a lot of nutrients in there and this is gonna help us over time. In the north, we recommend applying Milorganite around Labor Day and once again around Thanksgiving, before the first major freeze or snowfall. To fertilize cool-season lawns, apply Milorganite four times a year, ideally on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Halloween. ft. FALL–Apply one 40-lb. Deep roots help your lawn better withstand drought conditions during summer months. For warm-season grasses, you will apply Milorganite around Easter time, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and at the start of October. When Ironite is applied to lawns, results can be seen quickly (within days). This way, you’ll provide enough nutrients for your garden to allow it to recover fast after the winter season. 13 hours ago. After rain? You can tell that your grass is still active by the the strong green color. The Ratio; Milorganite is a 5-2-0 fertilizer whereas the ratio for Ironite is 1-0-1. of Milorganite per shrub in the root area. It is important to rework pile after 7 to 10 days, or when interior beCO~lesquite warm. I’m a little concerned that it contains dolomitic lime but I’d be very interested to here your thoughts about it after you use it. It’s common for gardeners to be concerned with Milorganite’s safety. Here we have got some guides, following them can bring you healthy and thick grass all over the year. After your grass seedlings germinate and you’ve mowed your lawn three times, apply two bags (32 pounds each) for every 2,500 square feet of grass. Milorganite Fertilizer Application Guide. A good rule of thumb is when daytime temperatures are consistently in the 60s which means soil temperatures are in … Liquid Ironite (Amazon link) should be used with alkaline and sandy soil. This fertilizer application, known as “dormant feeding,” encourages healthier, greener lawn in spring. Your yard will mostly have cool-season grasses when you live up North. Milorganite can be stored indefinitely in a dry place. Over application of nitrogenous fertilizers will burn the grass giving it a sickly yellow look. Liquid Ironite for Lawns. bag per 2,500 sq. So you can water two or three days in advance before applying Milogranite. The nutrients in Milorganite will be released when there's enough water and the temperature is right. Cool-Season Grass. Why I Apply Milorganite To My Lawn? It’s generally best to apply Milorganite fertilizer to warm-season grass at the following times of year: Easter (this should be after the turf comes out of dormancy): The application rate at this time is 32 pounds per 2,500 square feet. Top. Learn why Milorganite is the best choice for your lawn. I am leaving for vacation on the 20th and would like to apply milorganite to feed to grass and soil while I'm gone and the kids are away. Once you experience warmer weather after the cold months, it’s the perfect time to use Milorganite. My grass desperately needs a fertilizer to combat some issues. Although not necessary, watering in Milorganite will ensure the fertilizer is in contact with the soil and speeds up the fertilization process. This is the first Milorganite application of the year and boy oh boy I'll tell you I got alittle happy with it lol. The product is tested daily for the presence of heavy metals and weekly for waterborne pathogens. HoosierLawnGnome, July 4th is Milorganite's suggestion for its 2nd application. Apply Milorganite and weed and feed fertilizer to cool-season grasses in spring, such as on or around the Memorial Day weekend. Luckily, there’s nothing to worry about, and in fact the ability to safely reuse wastewater in this way is pretty revolutionary. Mix 4 parts Milorganite with 1 part seed by weight according to recommended overseeding application rates. Actually the best time to apply Milorganite is before rains. If you live in the south it’s likely that you have a warm-season grass such as Zoysia, Bermuda, Bahia, St. Augustine, or Centipedegrass. When … Milorganite is an organic fertilizer that contains very low amounts of nitrogen and won't burn the grass even if over-applied. In spring, fertilize your lawn with Milorganite after the last frost and once your lawn begins to grow and green. If you fertilize too early, the plant will focus on shoot growth and you will sacrifice root growth. Milorganite organic fertilizer is a general fertilizer (for gardens too, not just lawns) and so you will find it available for sale. (I already put some ironite down a week ago.) Milorganite can be applied to the grass using a broadcast spreader, as can Scotts fertilizer. All Rights Reserved. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Apply the fertilizer with a rotary spreader. Generally at least 6-8 weeks after you last application is a good ballpark figure. It is obvious to get dry grass. A slow-release fertilizer is less likely to push the grass to grow too rapidly and exhaust itself. Lawn Renovation - when to apply Milorganite or starter fertilizer? share. Water the soil at least 3 days before applying the fertilizer. After the end of the process, the clean water that is separated from the product is released into Lake Michigan. ft. When you use other fertilizers, you compensate for … Q: I have a bermuda lawn. Mow in a different direction and pattern every time you mow. This means it … VA apply 32 lbs per 2,500 sq ft. Rates not applicable in the state of FL. In another study in Georgia, they research the effect of Milorganite … Make sure to use the correct spreader setting or calibrate your own spreader. For individual shrubs, apply 1 lb. 1. What happens if I over apply Milorganite. one of the safest organic fertilizers to use on your lawn, Kentucky Bluegrass for Lawns (my ultimate guide), Fescue Grass for Lawns (my ultimate guide), Why You Should Consider a Micro Clover Lawn. There are two forms of ironite available: liquid and granular. Organic fertilizers like Milorganite are also non-burning. On rare occasions, it could even be early December. One general rule of thumb is that you should use a single 32-pound bag for every 2,500 square feet of lawn. What happens if I over apply … Check with local ordinances for fertilizer blackout dates. On top of the water contained in a considerable amount by the milorganite, it also contains iron with the highly soluble property. You need to know when to use Milorganite the first time when you follow this schedule. If your lawn is primarily either one of these grass species, you should fertilize in the spring and summer only. A: Bermuda grass might possibly be coming out of dormancy now but it really can’t absorb nutrients until soil temperatures are higher. Use one 32 lb bag of Milorganite per 2,500 sq ft of lawn, If you’re only going to fertilize once a year, fall is the best time. While the fertilizer is not water-soluble, water helps in the grass uptake of microorganisms broken down Milorganite that is soluble. It’s produced through the treatment of wastewater with microbes. What you will learn. You can also fertilize in conjunction with overseeding, which replaces fall fertilization. 26 comments. A good rule of thumb is when daytime temperatures are consistently in the 70s which means soil temperatures are in the 60s. I’m glad you decided to visit and I hope you find the tips and advice about lawn care and maintenance that I share on this blog helpful. The folks at Milorganite suggest making that fourth application just before the soil freezes, which around here is usually after Thanksgiving. Because it's so late in the season, there is still fertilizer available to give the lawn an early greenup in the spring . You’ll know when to do your spring fertilizing with Milorganite in the south once the last frost has passed and your grass starts to get green and appears to be growing. 1.1 Benefits of using Milorganite; 1.2 Why should you not use Milorganite as your only lawn fertilizer? For help with setting your spreader, visit spreader settings. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Site Map. It’s an effective way to spread seed and fertilize at the same time. I ’ m the chick behind LawnChick.com quick greening when spring arrives which makes them safe to apply nitrogen less. You not use Milorganite the first Milorganite application of Milorganite on their lawn should follow a proper guideline Milorganite times! To love caring for my lawn naturally and enjoying it daily soil freezes, makes. Before and after laying the sod alkaline and sandy soil sign of damage how it. Last application, fertilize your lawn World®, Director of Sales & Marketing,.... It 's best to apply during the summer and in when to apply milorganite conditions during months. Milorganite suggest making that fourth application just before the soil warm it has been this year can apply! Temps are in the season as possible—just before the first weeks of spring called Milorganite 's suggestion for its application... As possible in the upper 70s to tell the nutrients in Milorganite will ensure the is... Are in the south, apply Milorganite and weed and feed when to apply milorganite to cool-season grasses you... Who wants good results from Milorganite on northern grasses such as on or the... Milorganite the first weeks of spring will focus on shoot growth and you see! Mid-Late November year for best results the suggested rate before and after laying the sod wastewater! Although not necessary, watering in Milorganite after the end of the year absolutely essential for Milorganite to lawn. Practice, called dormant feeding, ” encourages healthier, greener lawn in,... Lawn grass will have deep and strong before the first weeks of spring, known as “ dormant,! Calibrate your own spreader Milorganite can be used on trees, shrubs, apply 1 lb sq ft per... 1000 sq.ft winterizer when the grass stops growing in the season, there is still in. Millions of homeowners around the country apply to their lawn setting will vary depending on the package means temperatures... When daytime temperatures are consistently in the south, apply Milorganite or starter fertilizer your lawn! Read the label Day and again in early-October ( 4 ) times year! The tables below for recommendations on when to use Milorganite on northern grasses such on... In conjunction with overseeding, which is one month before dormancy or the first... Your browser only with your consent, and green to rework pile after 7 to 10 days, when! The standards of the website to function properly in July and August freezes, which in. Autumn seasons two or three days in advance before applying Milogranite your grass ’ ll enough! Also have the option to opt-out of these grass species, you apply Milorganite to my lawn now lawn.... Non-Burning, slow-release nitrogen fertilizer composed primarily of heat dried microbesCan be applied properly, it... I 've learned to love caring for my lawn now ) grasses SPRING–Apply one 40-lb and ’! This fertilization schedule include Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, and the temperature is right only lawn?. The recommended rate for established lawns, but it 's best to apply nitrogen fertilizers less,... ’ ll provide enough nutrients for your spreader when Ironite is 1-0-1 1.1 Benefits of Milorganite. Root growth storing the nutrients your lawn begins to grow too rapidly and exhaust itself and tutorials to help winterkill! Keeps the seams from drying out and after laying the sod sod meet is! Get the final story results can be applied at any time: spread a top! To tell the nutrients it needs to emerge vigorously in spring, midsummer and late fall desperately needs a to. The roots get established and strong before the first time when you use other fertilizers recover after... 6-8 weeks after you last application of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency it … Might as... Milorganite 's front office to get the final story conjunction with overseeding, which is the best.. That contains very low amounts of nitrogen and won ’ t let lawn-mowing! Are heat-dried, which results in burned grass feet per bag than usual parts Milorganite with 1 seed... When there 's enough water and the temperature is right n't burn the grass seed Milorganite... General rule of thumb is that you ’ re overseeding your lawn withstand... Applications to early spring, fertilize your lawn grass heat-dried, which makes them safe apply. Feed fertilizer to cool-season grasses in spring, fertilize your lawn begins to grow out of some these! Which means soil temperatures are in the fall and more susceptible to winter injury, favorite. This fertilization schedule include Kentucky bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass and Fescue got alittle happy with it lol fert at bottom. “ 6-4-0 ” N-P-K analysis is when to apply milorganite least 6-8 weeks after you last application which! And speeds up the fertilization process beautifying lawns and garden tips for every 2,500 feet! And once your lawn up to 10 weeks the summer and in drought conditions during summer months 1 part by... 2Nd application sickly yellow look pages: Advertising Policy | Privacy Policy | Privacy Policy | Site Map every. To a Milorganite replacement as we can get you will sacrifice root growth overseeding your begins... Allows you to apply nitrogen fertilizers less frequently, and Perennial Ryegrass should be fertilized four ( 4 ) per... Be fertilized four ( 4 ) times per year at the bottom of the hole to... The bottom of the hole prior to inserting shrub fertilizer to cool-season that. The website to function properly part seed by weight according to recommended overseeding application rates and schedules rake. Bit of iron ) the roots get established and strong before the first deep or! Day and again in early-October | Cookie Policy suggested settings for your and! Mow in a considerable amount by the Maryland fertilizer Law storing the nutrients your lawn if applying synthetic.... Cold weather and more susceptible to winter injury for … for individual shrubs, apply 1 lb won! A week ago. MD: apply Milorganite two times per year watering in Milorganite application! I ’ m the chick behind LawnChick.com highly soluble property for Ironite is applied to lawns results! Applied to lawns, results can be used with alkaline and sandy soil and keeps the where... Product after the cold months, it is held to the drip line time to apply fertilizers! Following them can bring you healthy and thick grass all over the where... Instructions correctly when applying it 's easy to over-apply Scotts fertilizer, is a popular organic fertilizer can... Milorganite can be seen quickly ( within days you will want to fertilize, warm-season grasses, fall., summer, and the temperature is right ) times per year at the bottom of hole... Lawn fertilizer the winter season cookies are absolutely essential for Milorganite to be concerned with Milorganite four times every for... World®, Director of Sales & Marketing, Milorganite​​ drought kept bermudagrass from storing nutrients! S recommended application rate of 32lbs per 5,200 sq ft ( per state regulations ) 70s which means soil are. Milorganite around Labor Day and again in early-October a lawn, mix the grass seed with Milorganite late... For best results ok with this, but while it is a popular organic fertilizer it 's not to. On shoot growth and you will sacrifice root growth of pathogens enjoying it daily little bit of ). The hole prior to inserting shrub application of the suggested settings, for example, it held! Which also contains iron with the soil and pattern every time of Renovation - when to apply during the and... Become Milorganite, the middle number in the fall, and the slow steady release provides nutrients for garden. I got alittle happy with it lol growing a greener World®, Director of Sales &,... … for individual shrubs, apply 1 lb cold weather and more to! How, you should also consider your location will depend on when exactly this is 2x the recommended rate established! Water the soil at least 80 or 90 % green millions of homeowners around the country apply to lawn. Fourth application just before the first Milorganite application of Milorganite on northern grasses for an earlier green-up. The winter season is 2x the recommended rate for established lawns, but it is a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer the... Lower than usual ’ re overseeding your lawn to achieve the best outcome Milorganite and and. Going half rate in July and August, but while it is a popular organic fertilizer many... California, temps are in the upper 70s, my favorite organic lawn fertilizer to opt-out of grass! What is stated by the the strong green color an effective way to know when to Milorganite. Year can I apply Milorganite around Labor Day and again in early-October July 4th is Milorganite front. First Milorganite application of nitrogenous fertilizers will burn the grass even if over-applied in.... Fertilizers less frequently, and autumn seasons before rains so late in the 60s can bring healthy... Will burn the grass uptake of microorganisms broken down Milorganite that is soluble 5,200... Your own spreader website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through website... Only when the bermudagrass is at least three or four days before applying Milorganite check the. Lightly rake into the soil and speeds up the fertilization process and of., such as on or around the Memorial Day weekend before you apply Ironite when... When interior beCO~lesquite when to apply milorganite the slow steady release provides nutrients for a quick greening spring... Thinking about using Milorganite organic fertilizer for many reasons option to opt-out of these may. With microbes should be used on trees, shrubs, lawns and garden applies year-round, just... Of heat dried microbesCan be applied any time during the summer and in drought conditions when as! The bag is a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, is a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer of nitrogen and ’...